Eating out at Night
1. Go for lighter / easier to digest options. E.g. Grilled fish instead of the T-bone steak. Vegie risotto instead of the cheesy chicken parmigiana.
2. Generally favour vegetarian options (meat at lunchtime) – they are generally lighter/easier to digest, but be careful of extra oily dishes or heavy cheese sauces etc
3. Do what my mum does – look at the desserts menu first so you know what to order for main (i.e. in order to leave enough room!!). If you are never going to ‘not have dessert’, it’s actually a great idea.
4. If the deserts are big or rich, share one desert between two or three people
5. When eating out in restaurants, avoid drinking ice cold water they place on your table. Ask for warm/hot water and put up with the weird look you’ll get from the waiter/waitress or order a herbal tea to sip with your meal.
6. Drinkers – red or non-chilled wine is better with meals than cold beer…beers!!
7. Enjoy it. It sure beats washing your own dishes every now and then.
Speaking of Restaurants
What’s the Definition of a Chef? Any cook who swears in French.