- rolled oats/oatmeal or ground semolina – both available at health food shops and some supermarkets)
- turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, ground ginger, saffron (optional)
- fresh dates and/or raisins
- raw or preferably unprocessed sugar (Rapadura or Muscovado)
How to Make:
In a saucepan, before turning on any heat…
- add about 1/2 a cup per person of oats or semolina
- add milk according to the consistency you like (usually about double the quantity of oats or semolina* If trying to lose weight, instead of using skim milk, use 1/2 milk and 1/2 water
- Stir the mixture to an even consistency before adding heat (this will reduce lumps)
- Put on low/medium heat and while regularly stirring…
- Add cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric & ground ginger – 1-2 pinches per person
- Saffron – 4-5 hairs (optional)
- 1-2 dates cut into small pieces or 15- 20 raisins
- Sugar to taste
- Continue stirring (and adding more milk or hot water if needed) until cooked.
This will be just a few minutes with semolina or oatmeal but longer with rolled oats (see packet).