Also known as Vegetable Fritters.
Kids and adults alike love these. This recipe is based on the Indian Pakora, which is a fried vegetable fritter dish made with besan (chickpea) flour. When the fritters are cooked with this flour it adds flavour and crunchiness. They are ideally served with chutney.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
- If you have a food processor, to save time, instead of grating the vegetables, put them all together and chop them up in the processor.
- To make your own Besan flour, add dry chickpeas in small batches to a food processor, coffee grinder or blender and process until pulverized and smooth. Then run through a sieve to remove any large particles. Use as directed in the recipe.
- Besan Flour – ¼ cup
- Wholemeal Flour – 1 cup
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tspn
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Ghee or Olive Oil – appx 1 Tblspn – for shallow frying.
- 4 cups of grated/finely chopped seasonal vegetables – a combination of any if the following depending what you have in the fridge: eg. Pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot, zucchini, red capsicum, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, leek, fennel.
How to Make:
1. In a medium bowl, mix the besan and wholemeal flour together. Stir in the coriander, turmeric, garam masala and salt.
2. Make a well in the centre of the flour mix. Gradually pour in the water and mix to form a thick, smooth batter.
3. Add the grated vegetables into the flour mix and combine well.